5. 214 – 37 Street, Tregillus Residence

Architectural Style: Queen Anne Revival 

The 1911 Tregillus Residence is significant for its contribution to the earliest residential, suburban development to occur in Parkdale. It is one of five, distinctive, red-brick houses developed 1911-12 on the east side of 37 St. N.W. by Calgary pioneer Alfred S. McKay. This assembly of houses, along with six others concentrated within the 3100 – 3300 blocks of Parkdale Boulevard constitute two original development groupings that defined Parkdale until the end of the Second World War.

The Tregillus Residence is notable for its close association with its developer, Alfred S. McKay, one of Calgary’s most prominent pioneers. Originally, McKay owned the property between 37 and 29 Streets NW that was subdivided as Parkdale Addition. He planned to develop houses there for speculative purposes, but only five houses were built, including the Tregillus Residence. The house was rented out by McKay (until his death in 1940) and then by his son Gordon until it was sold in 1963. The first occupant to rent from McKay, from 1913-15, was William McKee, a superintendent with Western Builders, Investments and Loans. After several other vacancies and occupants Sydney Tregillus became a long-time resident from 1936-55. Tregillus was a fur farmer and the brother of well-know Rosscarrock area rancher and brickmaker, William J. Tregillus.

The Tregillus Residence is valued for its understated Queen Anne Revival style architecture and is one of only four examples of this style in Parkdale. Characteristic of the style is the hipped roof with lower cross gable that contains ornamental half-timbering. Brick and sandstone for the home’s construction was obtained locally, with brick from the Crandell Pressed Brick and Sandstone Co. across the Bow River. These high-quality materials set the house apart from the large number of other mostly wood construction houses in Calgary at the time. Other distinctive features of the house, built by Johnson Bros. contractors, included its front verandas (since replaced) and integral, rear sleeping porch.