Parkdale is located along the north bank of the Bow River between the communities of West Hillhurst and Point McKay. It is bordered to the north by the Foothills Hospital.
Although the City of Calgary annexed the area in 1910, it was not developed until 1948; however, there is a house dating back to 1910 situated in Parkdale, below the escarpment of St. Andrews Heights.
For a detailed presentation and more information on Parkdale’s history, click here.
Looking for stats on Parkdale? Click here
The house belonged to Ezra Riley, son of Thomas Riley who was a successful pioneer rancher owning a large area of land along the north escarpment of the Bow River Valley. The Riley House is an excellent example of a substantial ranch farmhouse. It was originally located along Crowchild Trail in West Hillhurst, but it was recently moved to its present Parkdale location.
Most of the community consists of low density residential dwellings, but has experienced a continued increase in density through development over the last 20 years. In addition, Foothills Hospital is situated on the hill just north of the neighbourhood.
Located adjacent to the Bow River Pathway System, Parkdale Boulevard and close to Shaganappi and Crowchild Trails, Parkdale has excellent access to Downtown Calgary, major transit arteries and shopping areas.
Map of Parkdale
View Parkdale in a larger map