Architectural Style: Craftsman
W. Hope Grant, an Irish immigrant and one of the early homesteaders on the then outskirts of the city built this home. By 1910-11 with the need for housing to accommodate newly arrived residents, the land was annexed by the City of Calgary. The area was originally known as the Parkdale Addition (west of 28 ST NW), with suburban development envisioned by real estate developers Scott and Hartronft Ltd. along with partner Alfred S. McKay. Due in part to the city’s real estate boom, as well as the expansion of the streetcar line in 1911 into Parkdale, the area continued to flourish up until onset of the first World War. It wasn’t until the late 1940s -early 1950s that development was reignited in the community and the city at large.
At the time of the home’s construction in 1913, Mr. Grant worked as a steamfitter and Vice President of the family-owned company Grant Brothers Ltd. general contractors. At the time of the home’s construction in 1913, Henderson’s Directories lists the home as the only one on the street (then 37 Street NW) and notes the owner Mr. Grant’s phone number as a rural phone. The home has symbolic value as one of the first homes built in this area, and one of a very few still remaining.
Members of the Grant family continued to live in the Parkdale area, at one point renting and then owning a distinct Art & Crafts style residence at 140 37 Street NW (extant), a home also associated with Alfred S. McKay and Parkdale’s early development.
The Grant (Jones) Residence is an example of a Craftsman style bungalow, which is reflected in design elements such as the dominant full width covered front verandah supported by square columns, with the original sweeping curved cut out. It has a double gabled roof with extended eaves and exposed rafter ends, and a (now enclosed) upper balcony. The distinctive curved cut out of the front verandah is repeated on the side of the house adding to its decorative quality. There are a variety of wooden framed one over one windows throughout the house, some of which have the original glass panes.
A community heritage advocate, Elizabeth (Ann) Jones who lived in the home from 1972 to 2018 researched and kept documents pertaining to the history of the house. She has helped promote the importance of the history of Parkdale and the value of its original houses.