Many newer residents may not realize that Parkdale has a very long and interesting history. Our local historian Marcel Hebert will guide us through a journey back in time as we learn, share stories and marvel at unique our community is:
- Within three blocks of Parkdale there were two golf courses. Can you name them?
- What was the name of the drive-in theatre next to Parkdale that had the largest screen in Canada?
- Did you know the Community Association had a wading pool. Where was it located?
- When did the landslide occur at the bottom of 37 street on the south side of the river
- What year did the big train derailment happen and where?
Our local history buff, Marcel has spent 15 years gathering historical information, artifacts and images of Parkdale and the surrounding area. He has spent many hours at the Glenbow Museum, Calgary Library Archives, Calgary Herald and the University of Calgary Taylor Digital Library, putting together the information from 1886 onward.
Come and join us exploring Parkdale from when it was farmland belonging to the Canadian Pacific Railway to the constantly-changing community it is today!
Friday September 26, 6:30-8:30
Parkdale Community Association 3512 – 5th Avenue NW
$5/beer, $3/slice of pizza
Don’t have a PCA membership? Get one here!
All proceeds go to the garden – REGISTER BELOW