To align with updated provincial guidelines, The City of Calgary will begin the process of re-opening more than 1,100 City-operated playgrounds, starting May 29.
Regional playgrounds will be opened first. These playgrounds are designed to serve more than one community, like Bowness Park, Riley Park and Stanley Park. Following this, community playgrounds will open. It will take several days to re-open all City-operated playgrounds. This process is expected to be completed by Wednesday, June 3.
As part of this process, Calgary Parks staff will be doing a light inspection of each playground. If any issues are discovered upon inspection, the playground will remain closed until maintenance can repair it. Calgary’s playgrounds typically receive monthly inspections during the summer and a total of seven inspections per year. These are done by qualified playground inspectors – these routine inspections will resume again following the re-opening.
Playgrounds are high-touch point structures. These play areas are not disinfected or cleaned after use. There is also a limited ability to manage physical distancing on these structures. Calgarians are strongly encouraged to follow these guidelines:
- Those who are sick or have symptoms related to COVID-19 must not use playgrounds.
- Practice proper hand hygiene. Wash and sanitize your hands before and after use.
- Encourage children to avoid sharing toys or sports equipment and limit contact with individuals outside of their household or cohort family. Try to encourage your children to avoid touching their face.
- Maintain two metres (six feet) of physical distance between yourself and others.
- Clean and disinfect toys and sports equipment prior to and after use.
- Carry and use hand sanitizer containing at least 60 per cent alcohol content immediately before and after using playground equipment.
- Maintain physical distancing and limit congregating with other people when entering and leaving the playground and supervising children playing (e.g. paths, benches, picnic areas).
- Follow Government of Alberta guidance on group gatherings.