Design Review Open House
Date: Feb. 21, 2013
Time: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Location: Parkdale Community Centre, 3512 5 Ave. N.W.
The City of Calgary, Office of Land Servicing & Housing is holding an open house on Feb. 21, 2012 from 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. at the Parkdale Community Centre. The purpose of the meeting is to give community residents an opportunity to see the proposed architectural designs and have inquiries answered on the proposed affordable housing development at 3416 3 Avenue N.W. The City plans to build much needed affordable rental housing on the currently vacant City owned land. To do so, the Office of Land Servicing & Housing applied and received approval, on Feb. 11, 2013, to have the lot rezoned to allow for the development of a multi-residential building with commercial space.
The next step…
Our next step is to begin the building development which starts by showing Parkdale community residents the proposed building design on Feb. 21, 2013. Join us to see the proposed building design and learn more about the proposed 25-unit, four storey multi-residential affordable housing development with commercial space available on the ground floor. City staff, NORR Architects and your Parkdale community planning committee members will be available to answer inquiries.
The proposed building design will also be on calgary.ca
The proposed building design will be available online at calgary.ca/affordablehousingdevelopments after the open house. We hope you will visit our website to take a look at the design and to provide your comments if you are unable to attend the open house. Your feedback and comments, where possible, will be incorporated into the final architectural designs.
The development process
- The Office of Land Servicing & Housing has submitted a Land Use Redesignation application. (completed) Copies of the redesignation application plans have been sent to the Ward Alderman, the Community Association and a number of City and provincial departments for their comments. (completed)
- After the application has been circulated a recommendation will be made to the Calgary Planning Commission (CPC) which we anticipated will happen by late 2012. (completed)
- Following this process will be a public hearing of Council in early 2013. (completed)
- While the Land Use Redesignation process occurs, the Office of Land Servicing & Housing will prepare a development permit application which will be submitted when a recommendation has been received by Calgary Planning Commission. (in process)
- Prior to the development permit application submission we will host an open house to review the architectural designs.
- A development permit application will be submitted by the end of February 2013. We will also continue to work with the Parkdale Planning & Development committee. For more information about The City development and building approval process, visit calgary.ca.
- In the last Community Newsletter issue, we provided an update on the Office of Land Servicing & Housing (OLSH) land use amendment application for 3416 – 3 Avenue NW.
- OLSH is currently waiting for Council approval for the land use change to allow for a low-rise, multi-residential building with ground level commercial space to be developed on the site.
- In the meantime, we are working on the development’s architectural design in consultation with the Parkdale Planning and Development Committee.
To learn more about this multi-residential affordable housing development visit http://www.calgary.ca/ affordable housing developments or contact:
Project Manager, The City of Calgary